Watch Laurieann Thorpe from Prevent Child Abuse Utah appear on Good Things Utah
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (Good Things Utah) – April is not only National Child Abuse Prevention Month, but in Utah it is also Family Strengthening Month. It’s a good time to reflect on what makes a healthy, strong family.
According to Laurieann Thorpe, executive director of Prevent Child Abuse Utah, strong families share common traits – among them are:
- They have the ability to meet their basic needs
- Parents understand their children and what they should be able to do and when they should be able to do it
- They have friends and a good support system
- They have the ability to go through hard things together
- Children can express and manage their emotions
Prevent Child Abuse Utah offers parent mentoring through various home visiting programs. If you need help in providing for the needs of your children, would like to learn more about child development and connect with local parents in your community, please visit our website: Home Visiting in Weber County.